Friday, February 01, 2008

Last Day of Work

As my post title prosaically suggests, today is in fact my last day at work in sunny Reston, VA. In fact it's not sunny, but rainy, cold, and (at this hour) dark. It'd seem a bad omen but it's February and that sort of thing is par for the course.

Part of me, right after I woke up, thought, "2/1. Is it April Fools' Day?", which was quickly followed up with a derisive, mental "Come on." I think I'm in some sort of pre-discombobulation time warp. Yesterday someone sent me a file at work and my first reaction was, "Wait, this hasn't been updated since January 30th. That's like two months."

As my upcoming clean-up week in Arlington progresses I expect my brain to do the thing the big ant nest in our back yard used to do when I parked the lawnmower above it when we were kids. The ants got really agitated but not in any usefully patterned way I could recognize.

At any rate -- All I have on my to-do list at the office is make some minor updates to two or three documents and go to my goodbye lunch. I'm feeling the usual mix of wistfulness, trepidation, and massive elation as I have had when leaving schools or jobs before. But I expect that will diminish pretty quickly; having to pack up my portable stuff and sell of my Ikeaful bounty of home furnishings both supplies me with a lot of near-term tasks to keep my mind on, and fosters the belief that there's no way I have time for employment right now.

As a miscellaneous point, if anyone can recommend audiobooks on CD that would be good for long spans of highway driving, I'm still looking to account for 30 to 40 hours of programming.

Also, in private communication I learned that Kyle's reaction to my earlier post mentioning my move was to add a comment along the lines of, "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!", though she suppressed that urge. That comment sums up my main underlying feeling about this whole enterprise, too, underneath my reactions to all the surface-level practical stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home