Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Concavity?

At the dentist's yesterday, the hygienist turned out to be one of those people who's really fascinated by twin stuff. (The twin thing turned up in the brief pre-opening-wide conversation.) Some people just are, it seems. Is it hard to be away from him? (mm, not really.) Have your parents always been able to tell you apart? (yes, though they say they kept the hospital ID bracelets on for a little while at first.) Do you ever get that thing where you're in pain and he feels it? (no.)

"Wow," she said earnestly a little later on, while she was scraping away at my back teeth. "Do you have fillings?" (nn-hnn.) "I'll bet he has the same fillings."

I hadn't thought of that one before, but I kind of want to check now; who knows? I can't even remember how many fillings I have, though. I suppose it'd be freakier if they turned up on opposite sides of our mouths. (The hygienist was pretty awed by the mirror-image twin thing, too, which I described to her.)

More important to day-to-day life: no cavities this time around, gums doin' fine, next dental appointment in January '09.

4 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

About the only twin-related question I'm interested in right now (based on a question Jack asked in a text message a little while ago, with no follow-up) is whether cilantro tastes like soap to him or not. Because I don't really care for cilantro, but can't figure out whether it tastes like soap to me. And this, like dental fillings, is supposed to be genetically determined.

7/30/2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Yeah, I can't tell about the cilantro/soap thing either! I was cooking fish with someone that night, and they asked if cilantro tasted like soap to me, and I sampled some to find out, and I couldn't tell. So I texted Nate to find out the answer, but it turns out that he can't tell either. Maybe the inability to tell is itself a genetic trait. Or maybe we both haven't tasted enough soap, in which case I guess it's nurture instead.

The fish tasted fine with the cilantro, so I'm leaning "no."

7/30/2008 10:46 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

My guess would be that if cilantro doesn't taste delicious to you (both), than it tastes like soap. Because cilantro is delicious. Unless it tastes like soap. There is no middle ground.

7/31/2008 12:08 PM  
Blogger nate said...

Somewhere out there is someone who likes the taste of soap, who thinks cilantro is delicious for all the wrong reasons.

7/31/2008 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home