Sunday, August 03, 2008

Apizza Affiliation Amendment

OK, so after heading over to Sally's this evening (arrived 5:30, waited for about 45 minutes to get in) and eating a fairly transcendental meatball & pepper pizza I'm ready to admit I can't really choose a favorite between Sally's and Frank Pepe. (This follows a couple of years of Pepe partisanship.) They're both really good; the end.

My next frontier in local foodery, I think, will be sampling the regionally famous steamed cheeseburger of Meriden, Connecticut. More specifically, of this one place called Ted's Restaurant. I've got to say that steamed cheeseburgers don't sound that appetizing, but I'm just happy that Connecticut has a plausible candidate for locally distinctive food item. (Besides the country's best pizza, I mean. For some reason I never feel like this counts somehow.) Also I'm pretty sure you get to call these "steamed hams" if you want to.

On rereading paragraph one I'm pretty sure I meant "transcendent" meatball & pepper pizza, but you know what, I'm sticking with "transcendental."

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Well, unless I'm grotesquely misremembering some essays that I mostly didn't read in eleventh grade English class, New England was the center of Transcendentalism in 19th-century America. So maybe you meant "Transcendentalist". Though I didn't read far enough in "Walden" to get to the part where Thoreau and Emerson open an authentic brick-oven pizzaria in the woods.

8/04/2008 9:41 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Oh, right, kind of the way Walt Whitman built that rest stop on the Jersey turnpike.

8/05/2008 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home