Sunday, November 30, 2008

Steelers 33, Patriots 10

Was watching this game to its conclusion at the airport better than actually successfully flying from Pittsburgh to Newark? (4:15 kickoff, up against a 6:20 departure pushed back a few hours, beyond when it's useful for me to arrive in Newark.) The answer seems to be yes. On one hand, I miss a day of work and am somewhat inconvenienced. On the other hand, watching the defense light up New England like that is an obvious treat. And I got to have a couple of airport beers with Nate, whose own plane delays left him, eventually, in Phoenix tonight. I'm at home in Pittsburgh for an extra night.

It's remarkable how good you can feel even on the crappiest travel day of the year if your team shows that much life. Rough start to that first quarter, though. Definitely hinted at the desolation that would have hit us had a loss been piled on top of the flight delays. Best not to think about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

I agree that the answer does seem to be yes (I'm back in Portland as of this afternoon, with my arrival delayed by 14 hours, which felt somewhat longer than it objectively was). I think there were a lot of Pittsburghers in that airport whose transport woes were somewhat ameliorated. Maybe not the pudgy middle-aged guy in a tie-dye Steelers t-shirt on my PIT to PDX flight almost picked a fight with another passenger about whether or not he was entitled to a seat, though to be fair U.S. Airways did board six or seven more people onto the plane than there were seats for.

With a Steelers loss, I think the airport would have been in more of a riot type situation.

12/01/2008 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home