Friday, January 23, 2009

Eating Something with Protein in it Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

I started skimming the news headlines (CNN.com (I know I know its more swill-ish corporate news, but, you know, they will have the "big" headlines) just to make sure nothing important happened while I was asleep (this is generally my approach to news these days; not too concerned with what's going on, just wanna make sure nothing catastrophic has gone down), and I happened to come across this story, about a big recall of peanut butter. As it turns out, just last night, I ate a CLIF bar which happens to be on the list of recalled products. I mean, I didn't check the expiration date on the thing, so there's some chance that it wasn't involved in the recall. And I feel fine as of yet. I think my system is generally quite robust. But it's kind of a bummer knowing that there's some chance that my weekend could be ruined.

But--and this is the part of the post which is in the model of that Simpsons episode where Marge, back in high school, reads a women's lib magazine and then stands out in front of the school saying "and another thing I read..." (so in fact, I'll probably nip that impulse in the bud and keep this a short post)--I've been reading Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dillema and, damn if it isn't getting me all riled up. And now that I potentially just ate a tainted food product that is surely the fault of the industrialized food system, I'm just angrier and angrier. Though, I'm only halfway through the book, so maybe Pollan will get around to explaining how we might find solutions to the rampant problems with the way we make and get our food, but until then, I'm feeling similarly powerless to how I always feel. And if there's one thing that I have strongest doubt's about, I can't imagine that Obama would do anything to go against the Big Corn lobbies. They're probably already in his back pocket.

2 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

As a time consuming commentary slash partial answer to your questions, I suggest reading Pollan's open letter to the as-of-then next President: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html

...and Obama's later mention of said letter: http://civileats.com/2008/10/27/obama_gives_thoughts_on_micheal_pollans_letter/

...and Pollan's commentary on Obama's choice for Sec. of Agriculture: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98417440

Phew...

1/23/2009 2:38 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Thanks for the links. Having a president that reads at all is certainly an improvement, but it remains to be seen whether agriculture gets any kind of truly corrective attention (I personally land on the cynical side of interpreting that Iowan dude).

1/23/2009 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home