Monday, December 21, 2009

So 00s

I don't think I'm going to do a lot of decade-end retrospection. For one thing, it's really hard to wrap your mind around a decade that encompasses your entire adult life. (And more! Like I think my first achievement in 2000 was studying enough over winter break to place into a spring-semester music theory class my sophomore year in college, after skipping the fall-semester prerequisite.) For another thing, I'm just in year-end mode and trying to put one foot in front of the other until we're all home for the holidays (except Mike) and having apple pie and coffee for breakfast again. So thinking about large periods of time makes me too tired. And God knows any personal end-of-decade accounting can wait until turning 30 in March. Also I have a terrible memory for details, and it freaks me out when I have to remind myself how much I've forgotten about the past.

I'll make the obligatory personal Best Film call as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, at least in terms of immediate and lingering impact. Pete and I watched it without a lot of premeditation in New York, up at the cinema at Lincoln Center, in January 2008.

Also, I've decided to pronounce the decade as "the oh's," although most of the other possible pronunciations ("the aughts," "the naughts," "the zeroes") don't bother me either. For the coming decade, I favor "the twenty-tens," even if it's a little incoherent. Later, we can switch to "the teens," presuming that nothing really memorable happens between 2010 and 2012. Fingers crossed! -- no news is good news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home