Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Headlines

Interesting obituary today in the NY Times for George Nissen, 96, who invented the trampoline several decades ago. It never occurred to me before that the trampoline would have had an inventor, or that he'd still have been alive in 2010. He was the Iowan son of a dry-goods store owner, and he sounds like he embodied that classic entrepreneurial spirit: ingenuity plus promotion.

In other news, I learned today that they renamed the Triboro Bridge after Robert F. Kennedy a year and a half ago. I'm a little offended that no one informed me until now -- I mean, it's my second-favorite bridge in Astoria Park, and I still go over it every time I'm on the M60 bus between LGA and the Metro North. I also happen to think that "Triboro Bridge" was a perfectly fine name and that they should have kept it, but I can be old-fashioned that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home