Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Steelers 27, Bengals 21

Yeah, so, about that. I definitely woke up from some inchoate Steelers-Bengals dreams this morning, but they won inside my head, too.

I took the bus up to Hamden and the sports bar there, to watch with my Pittsburgh friend Andrea, who I haven't seen in forever. So for the first half it's just social and easygoing, and she leaves at halftime since it's late and the Steelers have a pretty big lead.

And I come close to leaving early after they go up 27–7, too. But I know better than that. Good thing, too, because why would you skip out on that delightful grinding feeling you get inside when the Steelers play 4th-quarter football. I know it's a game of inches. It also appears to be a game of pounds-per-square-inch, or whatever you use to measure James Harrison just barely pushing the ball out of the grip of a rookie tight end on the 2-yard-line to force a turnover on downs, with all of 45 seconds left. (Player of the game, though, is whoever was covering T.O. on the failed 3rd-and-5 pass into the end zone.) The Bengals came out of the gate completely inept, and for parts of the third quarter it looked like they'd almost given up on offense. Screwy.

Football-wise, the Steelers obviously have a lot of unanswered questions, such as "What the fuck?" (That counts as an unanswered question, right?) I'm going to try to stay in a happy place, specifically Antwaan Randle El heaving a touchdown pass to Mike Wallace.

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Yeah; I mean... yeah. The team's produced some nail-biters of wins the past few years, mostly in that charmed 2008 season, but honestly I liked it better then when they were snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, instead of snatching victory from the jaws of an even bigger victory.

Jack noted in email this morning that he likes Mike Tomlin's quote in the P-G game story, "Thankfully we didn't have to go to the Matt Spaeth tackle plan." Indeed, that sounds like a terrible plan. Get well soon, Steelers offensive linemen.

I think that Randle-El touchdown pass pays for his whole salary this year.

Actually I feel pretty good about the team this morning, maybe because the only glaring weakness there is that the defense is soluble when the pass rush doesn't get to the QB, and we already learned that pretty well last season. It's all hanging together so far, loose as it seems at times.

11/09/2010 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home