Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fire, Will Robinson, Fire!

Near the house where I live is a firehouse. This is near the quiet little municipal airport, which is a good thing to put a firehouse nearby, at least if SimCity taught me the right lessons. Outside the firehouse is what has become one of my all-time favorite statues.


I like how cute and cartoonish it is, and how the firehouse number is stamped on its left wheel, and how easily you can imagine it speaking a language of R2D2-like bleeps and bloops. Clearly, more of our public art should point optimistically to the day when our problems will be solved by benevolent robots.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

that's funny... batteries not included is a movie i generally like to reference in casual conversation, but surprisingly few people have actually seen it.

i think that and Karate Kid part III are the two movies that i most often reference without having anybody within earshot know what i'm talking about.

5/18/2006 12:13 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

If I ever find myself in a fight, I will undoubtedly turn to the Quicksilver method to protect myself.

Although the prospect of getting "some guy's blood all over my sweatshirt" keeps me a pacifist.

5/20/2006 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home