Sunday, August 27, 2006

Beer Me

Hey Pete, I forgot to ask you this last week. You recently used the term "concept beer" in a post, and I was curious what you meant by this exactly. I thought the idea behind concept cars was that they were prototyped but never manufactured; wouldn't the same be true for concept beer? Or maybe I have this wrong?

I'm still trying to sort out your distinction between microbrews and craft brews, anyway. And what was that beer we drank from the snooty glasses on the back porch of your now-ex-apartment? Was that a concept beer? It didn't taste anything at all like beer, and in fact I don't have enough taste-words to describe what it actually did taste like.

Speaking of transcendental picnic-type consumables, I stopped yesterday for lunch into a little city-type diner called "Yankee Doodle", the kind of tiny place with a grill & a counter with maybe a dozen stools, and burgers on the menu for less than $3. It's really close to the campus gym, and since I'd just come from the campus gym, I thought I'd go ahead & order two pigs-in-a-blanket with a chocolate milkshake.

The first pig was fantastic. (These guys are hot dogs wrapped in bacon and served in a bun with just a little bit of melted cheese.) The second pig came off the grill a couple of minutes later, and this time the cook put a glob of butter on the bun.

Friends, you must eat someday a hot dog wrapped in bacon and slathered with butter. Wash it down with a chocolate shake, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Oh yeah: I should have remembered, I definitely had one of those. I think the pigs go down a bit smoother, though.

My strongest Vienna meat-memory is the fact of having a giant slab of schnitzel staring you down. I remember how the schnitzel tastes, fairly well; but I remember the thought of "good lord, I'm never going to finish this" better.

8/28/2006 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home