Monday, October 02, 2006

Oddz 'n' Endz

Just back from an NYC weekend with Nate, having enjoyed among other things the Octoberfest celebration at Astoria's Bohemian Hall. Nothing like polka music and pig off the spit! . . . Q: How many of Jack's friends know that Nate sings Mack the Knife to himself in German when he's washing up in the bathroom before bed? A: However many of those friends let us crash in their apartment for the weekend. Those walls aren't soundproof! I would describe the reaction as attentive, slightly weirded-out fascination . . . Three cheers for Freddy Sanchez: Pittsburgh has a batting champion once more, and meanwhile the Pirates finish a competitive eight games out of fourth place . . . If the Detroit Tigers manage to put down the Yankees I'll be a happy fella. Happy and surprised. I might hop on the Minnesota Twins bandwagon in a couple of days here . . . For as much as I like mild provolone cheese I'm surprised how much I dislike sharp provolone cheese. But now it's in the fridge, and you can't send it back! . . . Music by Sufjan Stevens has been recommended and/or played to me by four different people in the last three months, plus it's in the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack. Duly I pass along this bittersweet blip on my usually dark folk-pop radar screen . . . In general I've been in a mood to listen to much more non-classical music recently. This also makes me kind of want an iPod . . . Periodically I think about going bowling, and I realize I don't really feel like going bowling; but each time, I kind of want to go bowling just slightly more. I think if I go bowling around mid-November I'll be satiated for another several months.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I was bummed to miss the Oktoberfest, but alas, I kinda spent my travel fund in the first part of the month, so couldn't afford to swing out to the city for a weekend just to go to a beer garden. In related news, the movie Beerfest is actually kinda funny. The first five minutes are really really bad, but they manage to get quite a few jokes in, in varying styles by the end of the movie.
I don't remember if there's any trite indie-pop in it, but regardless...

Sufjan Stevens (sp?) is definitely all the rage these days. I like his first album, "Enjoy Your Rabbit," but have refrained from listening to anything else from his catalogue, due to an exquisite combination of it being too popular and me being too lazy.

10/02/2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I've experience the bowling thing and the non-classical thing recently, although I'm definitely back to Hooked On Classic(al)s at the moment.

And what's up with the odd bolding? It just makes me think of Zippy cartoons, but coherent.

10/04/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

"Odds 'n' Ends" boldface patterns are inspired by newspaper gossip columns or catchall sports roundups that collect bunches of small trivia together . . . The broader joke is that none of my Odds or Ends are the least bit interesting. I think this produces a mild news parody combined with light self-deprecation, but I've been known to be wrong sometimes . . . I am disappointed when comments to "Odds 'n' Ends" formatted posts are not themselves expressed in the "Odds 'n' Ends" format. Put some love into it, people!

10/06/2006 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home