Monday, January 22, 2007

Dept. of Entertaining Vowel Combinations

See, this is the sort of thing I just find unaccountably interesting: if you capitalize a Dutch word that starts with their "ij" vowel, you capitalize both the i and the j. For an example, refer to "Fast Eddy" van IJzendoorn, the Dutch professional cyclist.

I learned this today from a manuscript that cited Fast Eddy for his work in the area of childhood psychoanalysis.

. . . Okay, it may have been a different van IJzendoorn, but don't rain on my parade here. I googled "IJzendoorn" to see if the capitalization pattern was legit, and Fast Eddy here was the first result. If you can find a better name than "Fast Eddy" van IJzendoorn, I want to hear it.

The other thing I love about Dutch is that it can sometimes come out understandable in English, as in the phrase "Welkom op de officiƫle website van Eddy van IJzendoorn."

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

"Professor Eddy" van IJzendoorn, Childhood Cycloanalyst. If I ever try to conquer the world by using some kind of satellite-mounted hypno-ray weapon that's totally the supervillain persona I'm going to adopt.

Knowing some German in addition to English makes Dutch look even more made up. I feel a little guilty about selling out my fractional Dutch heritage by saying so though.

1/22/2007 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home