Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Power-Joy

I've never been a particular fan of New Year's as a holiday. It feels too arbitrary to me. So far as I know, its a completely political construct, alienated from any sort of natural source. Why the hell is January 1st January 1st and why is January January?

If it were up to me, everyone would just celebrate their own personal new years every 365 days, starting from the day they were born (366 days every fourth year). And the year as we know it would be divided into two: Cold Year and Warm Year, the prior starting on the autmunal equinox and the latter on the vernal equinox. Beyond Warm New Year's and Cold New Year's, there would several other widely celebrated holidays, the most prominent being the celebration of the Cold Solstice, the Warm Solstice, and the Great Harvest.

I am, however, a fan of the Power-Joy, a joystick-based game that plugs into your TV and contains 84 of your favorite games from the 1980s, highlighted by such favorites as Arkanoid, Gradius, and Pandamar.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

I don't think you can just reconfigure the calendar like that and get away with it. But then I just watched that DVD of Logan's Run you gave me for Christmas, so I'm temporarily convinced that all forms of social engineering are doomed to end in the explosion of a tiny model future-city while synth-heavy Jerry Goldsmith music broods in the background. I guess the USSR successfully modified their calendar, though if I remember right a more ambitious attempt to change the French calendar after their revolution didn't stick.

Backwards-in-time memo to Logan's Run director Michael Anderson: That scene where a senile Peter Ustinov is living in the ruins of the U.S. Capitol with dozens of cats might realize more of its satirical potential if it didn't run on for about 25 minutes.

1/02/2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Back at my old job, we had a "floating holiday"; when I availed myself of this I sent an email around the office advising that I was declaring my floating holiday as "St. Jack's Day," which was to be celebrated with "a harvest festival and a round dance for all the village's marriageable youths." It turned out that a couple of other people were taking the same day off, so they also claimed to be calling off St. Jack's Day; someone else then volunteered the idea that "Hey, we should ALL get St. Jack's Day off EVERY YEAR!"

That's as close as I ever came to changing the calendar.

I think I was actually taking St. Jack's Day off to interview in the office I currently work in, so in a way it was the most productive holiday I've ever had.

1/02/2007 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home