Saturday, February 03, 2007

The West Coast is the Better of the Two Coasts

Hi! Haven't posted in a while, again, but this time I have an excuse, being as I've just up and moved to a new location, several time zones away. I'm at the central public library in Portland right now, using my one-hour-a-day allotment of non-member internet time. Earlier, the guy sitting at the computer next to me was on some internet personals site looking at pictures of women's breasts. I'm not sure if he found a date or not. I'm going to go wash my hands once my hour here is up (in about 10 minutes).

My sense of the city is only slowly coming together - the area of town where I'll be working/living is very much residential, but all on a generally exact grid. I'm hoping to be squaring away housing within the next 5 days or so.

It didn't rain for the first two days that I was here, but its been raining for most of today, and I left the umbrella that I got from my aunt for Christmas on the kitchen table in Pittsburgh, so am hoping to hold out on the purchasing of an umbrella until I have an address and can get that umbrella shipped to me.

Also, I find it to be rather disconcerting that Pittsburgh's Iron City Beer is one of the ironic cheap beers of choice with the hipsters out, or at least its presence at several bars makes it appear to be so. I've definitely seen some people actually drinking it, but Pabst Blue Ribbon still reigns supreme. Its pretty mind-boggling that anybody would drink Iron City just as a cultural affect, I mean, it tastes really bad (as opposed to, say, Pabst, which just tastes cheap, but perhaps has its time & place).

I've been killing time by watching Twin Peaks on VHS at my buddy's apartment. Thats a crazy TV show, can't imagine it airing in todays Television climate. Seems like if the kids out here really wanna be ironic about the beer they drink, then they should be drinking Heineken.

Heineken? Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to Oregon!

I have been told by several locals that only tourists from the east coast use umbrellas. Real Portlanders buy raincoats or pretend that it is not raining.

2/03/2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger nate said...

I think you'd look okay walking around in a slicker, Pete. Anyway you wouldn't look quite as much like the Unabomber as you did all those times in Pittsburgh when you went to the symphony in your hooded sweatshirt.

That "Blue Velvet" quotation pretty well sums up my opinion of what Heineken is and what should be done with it, except for the PBR part. Miller Genuine Draft is probably the lowest-end beer I'd rather pay for than not drink at all.

...And, thanks to the copyright-infringey goodness of YouTube: Relevant Dennis Hopper clip here; Mr. Show sketch inevitably lying behind the post title here.

2/04/2007 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home