Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day (Observed), Observed

There we go, one of those three-day weekends where your mind just kind of goes slack, in a good way, but you have to spend Tuesday at work just slowly reeling it back in. The train of thought, untethered, floats off way away up high over the tracks: goodbye, work world, we are making local stops on this line, up, up, and up.

I think I got some work done today, though I have to admit I’m not thinking through that statement very hard.

Honegger’s 4th Symphony on the headphones this morning, and Jeanne d’Arc, along with an iced coffee and an ardent feeling that I’d rather just be out walking somewhere and spinning my mental wheels.

Lovely weather, though, 80ish and sunny as you’d want it. The university kids had a grand day for graduation this weekend. Actually, it turned out that my musicologist college friend Dan was in town to see a cousin of his graduate, so we had time to grab brunch and listened to the Harkness carillon for a little while and went for ice cream. Having like-minded people around can’t be beat.

Out-of-place selections on the carillon, in between several Bach-sounding selections, included the gothic, clangorous theme from Indiana Jones, and an ominously tolling rendition of Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. (Just the title track, although I was hoping whatever student was at the console would play the album down. I would love to hear A Day in the Life on that thing.)

The holiday itself (observed) featured a small and satisfying picnic at East Rock Park with a handful of work friends, and not much else of note. The holiday itself (actual), which is to say tomorrow, will hopefully feature my head coming back down out of the clouds.

If you want something substantial to take away from this post in the meantime, I will say I highly recommend the movie Hot Fuzz, which is hilarious and snazzy and completely entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home