Thursday, April 17, 2008

Shuffling Around with a Stunned Look on My Face

With my cold mostly abated (having run down into a lingering (though persistent) cough) and the semester just that much more finished (the program had its final reading tonight), there's a definite feeling of completion now. Pretty amazing that I've already been in grad school for a whole year. I collect the papers from my students tomorrow morning, and once I have those graded I'll be completely done. I've avoided blogging too much about actually teaching, but I may post something once I'm totally finished reflecting on that whole thing.

Until then, refusing to be an Atlas-that-shrugs, here I am again, shouldering the burden of Of Mild Interest. In other mildly interesting news, I just broke my two-month abstinence from coffee this week. I hadn't had any coffee since Feburary 17th until this past Monday (what with the cold and it being the end of the semester, I just had to drink it). I gotta say - coffee is delicious and wonderful. And it's great to be back in a state where coffee does what it should (that is, keep me awake all morning (I had been drinking way too much of it initially during the semester, having to teach at 8 AM three days a week)).

I was recently watching the DVD compilation of some short films by David Lynch (which is interesting-but-not-that-interesting (though I did manage to watch "The Frenchman and The Cowboy" the whole way through this time through the DVD, which was a first (if there was a website where you could paint a virtual wall and then watch it dry I would hyperlink to it with the title of the film))), and was rather surprised to see that on the Eraserhead (filmic home of the best haircut of all time) precursor "The Grandmother" the famous poet C.K. Williams (who I saw read in Palm Beach back in January) was an "assitant script consultant." Especially weird since there isn't any talking as such in the film - the parents just bark like dogs the whole time. If I was a better blogger I would, like, do some research on the topic, but I'm not. I guess it could also be some other random dude who was also named C.K. Williams. I am curious, though, as to what relationship Lynch and Williams had, since they're both important figures in contemporary American art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home