Thursday, December 04, 2008

Unfinished Business

Half-playlist 12/4:

Hans Pfitzner, Prelude to Act I of "Palestrina" (1915) for orchestra
Ludwig van Beethoven, 11 Bagatelles, op. 119 (1823) for piano
most of Franz Berwald's Sinfonie Singulière (1845)

I'm pretty sure I can now lay claim to the only radio broadcast of Franz Berwald's Sinfonie Singulière that has ever been interrupted partway through by a hockey game. Evidently the station broadcasts all the home men's hockey games. On the plus side, I'm told that this is the only 7 pm Thursday night home hockey game. On the minus side, I was told that at approximately 6:40 pm.

Also, you know what I can't pronounce, is "Singulière." Why this didn't occur to me in the past couple of years, up to the point where I was on the air speaking the word "Sinfonie," I don't know. I'll have another crack at it next week, before I start laying down some mad Elliott Carter jams. I need a French pronunciation guide.

Mike gmail chatted me and said he heard me on the air, online. For about a half second, before the Berwald. He heard the single syllable "--rwald." Hey, I'm just happy to have an audience.

The first two sentences of Franz Berwald's Wikipedia entry are fantastic. Man, I wish people would be able to say this about me some day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I listened online briefly too, Jack. The end of the bagatelles, you're stumbling introduction to the Berwald and the first few measures of the piece itself (before I had to go to a poetry reading).

12/05/2008 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home