Monday, October 05, 2009

This Week in Poetic Legitimacy

The miami poetry collective was featured in this past Sunday's Miami Herald's "Tropical Life" section. The picture, seen here on the online version of the article, was nearly the size of a whole top half of a newspaper, and though I'm not named in the caption, clearly, my poetic self was gazing there out of the picture, to all the newspaper readers in Miami.

It should be noted, however, that the things I'm quoted as saying are all misquotes, and though I'm not about to have the Tropical Life section of the Miami Herald issue a retraction, the quotes in the article should be understood to be saying the following:

"I bought this [typewriter] in a flea market in Germany 10 years ago." should read as "A friend of mine bought this typewriter in a flea market in Berlin two years ago."

and

"The Z and the Q are swapped because they use the the Z so much more." should read "The Y and the Z are swapped because they use the Z so much more."

No big whoop though.

Also, the vignette about the Hummer on the second page of the article was mine (I know I know, it's the collective's, but you know how it goes...).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you grab up some souvenir copies of the Herald? I'd love to see the print version!

Maa

10/05/2009 11:26 PM  
Blogger nate said...

Good stuff; seems like you're on your ways to becoming cultural fixtures. I like the Humvee vignette -- is that a crash you actually witnessed or is it poetic license?

10/05/2009 11:56 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

It was written really quickly as a parody of someone else from the collective's contribution to the twitter poem (formally, rhythmically). And, like all of my poems, it is in no way based on anything real.

10/06/2009 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home