Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Further First-Week-Back-at-Work Reading

I will continue in the spirit of back-to-work-ishness that Henry just cited, and recommend a short article by the leftist sociologist Peter Frase. A few paragraphs in, he starts a very sharp dissection of wage labor and the work ethic, which seems to be a frequent topic of his, based on his website.

I don't typically go in for Marxist critiques, but I think it's thought-provoking. Food for thought! Haven't really gotten my arms around it yet. Anyway, yayyy, wage labor.

Partially, I think my brain may be reacting to 30 months of exposure to the same Econ 101 textbook at work by rejecting the market economy as an intellectual concept.

In another facet of back-to-work-ishness, I am curious to read this book that Nate recommended to me today, which is about non-Rubik's cubes. Bonus tip: one of my favorite New Yorker cartoons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hank said...

I haven't read the whole article yet, but this line cracked me up:

"Whether his art is any good or not, my artist friend on food stamps contributes more to society than the traders at Lehman brothers, by simply not wrecking the global financial system."

1/08/2015 6:09 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Yeah, that one got a laugh out of me too. It's funny because it's true!

1/08/2015 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home