Saturday, April 21, 2007

Full of Fish

Back from dinner for a coworker's birthday; went out to a pretty good sushi place in town. I ordered myself a sashimi platter, forgetting somewhat that this is just fish (as opposed to bits of things in rolls), something I've never really considered that I wanted to eat. But it was extremely good. Some of these fishcuts positively melt in your mouth; it's really like nothing else. Highly recommended culinary experience if you haven't tried it yet. (Unless you oppose eating fish on moral and/or environmental grounds. Sorry Pete. I, uh, have stopped buying canned tuna, though.) Gets a bit pricey, but that sort of thing is supposed to increase the amount of subjective pleasure you draw from something, right?

Meanwhile, I'm listening to Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony on CD, which I finally broke down and bought a copy of, largely so I can put a movement on a mix CD for someone. Turangalila and sashimi do a satisfying evening make. Also it's finally nice outside.

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Well, I'm glad someone else in the immediate family finally came around to eating sushi. It is, indeed, good stuff. Make sure to eat something incorporating smoked eel if you haven't yet; I'm partial to scallops as well, plus rolls involving avocado or cream cheese. In fact Kyle & I saw this post shortly after eating at a comfy, quality sushi place in McMinnville, OR's fairly charming downtown area, which reminded me that I haven't been eating the stuff anywhere near often enough recently.

The distinction between sushi and sashimi is the presence or absense of that base of rice -- rolls generally feature a couple of items wrapped up into a cylinder with rice on the outside. The fish can be cooked or not in any case. Maybe Kyle could de-lurk long enough to break out the differences a little (she being my usual go-to Person Who Knows More About Sushi Than Me), or I guess anyone interested can just ask Old Man Internet.

4/22/2007 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home