Sunday, January 04, 2009

Let's Start with the Easy Resolutions

I made two resolutions today. (I had intended to write these down on the train from Pittsburgh on Friday, but I forgot to. Resolutions! Love 'em.) First when my friend Al called to talk for a while, because he's just moved to Salt Lake City and wants me to come out for a week in the spring (tbd) and go hiking, which is a fantastic idea. So I am resolving to do that. Second when I listened through last week's Selected Shorts episode online (my friend Stu does the sound engineering for this series), because I had not actually listened to the show yet and it struck me immediately that I've been missing out. So I am resolving to listen to more radio; let's say, to be tangible, at least one piece of programming per week. After all, I should be taking advantage of the peppy and variegated local musical options on WNHU, and consuming more NPR, and listening to classical shows for reference purposes if nothing else.

If you are reading this post before 9 pm (Eastern) on Monday 1/5, you should download that most recent Selected Shorts episode and listen to Stephen Colbert read this coldly hilarious piece by T. Coraghessan Boyle, whose name I haven't come across before. (This all comes my way naturally via Stu.) Tragicomic workplace undertows are best experienced vicariously, I would suspect.

I didn't write down any resolutions in 2008 but about two thirds of the ones from 2007 are still, ahm, "actionable" (let's euphemize) so, in a way, I've got a leg up on making a good list of these for 2009. Ahead of the curve again!

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

My single New Year's resolution so far, still incomplete (and for that matter unstarted), is "draft a master plan of all resolutions for the coming year, assign priority/ urgency/ level-of-effort estimates to each, then evaluate all to determine which if any can be achieved and within what time frame". This makes my 2009 resolutions remarkably like the project plan for my first IT job in the several months before that entire effort was axed.

1/05/2009 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plugs! More stories from the office in the next coming weeks on Selected Shorts (I, for one, resolve to catch a live Shorts at Symphony Space sometime this year). But, in the mean time, if you're looking for more great programmed radio listening, I highly recommend RadioLab.

1/08/2009 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home