Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Hog Day Afternoon

"I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life." --Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

Sure, six more weeks of winter! Why not! I had a glimmer of optimism earlier today, since there was sunlight and a hint of spring in the morning air, but then it got overcast and the workday kept grinding along. So at the moment I'm sharing the groundhog's assessment. February is one long slog. Already.

I learned last year that the key to enjoying February is to fall in love and then for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. So that leaves a couple of projects for the offseason.

I wouldn't call this "seasonal affective disorder," for what that's worth. It's a perfectly rational affective response to the season.
* * * * *
Oh hey, you know what we all have plenty of now, though, is Best Picture nominations. Ten this year! Ten Best Picture nominations means nine Best Picture nominations that I haven't managed to see in the theater, although I would highly recommend An Education, which is also up for Best Adapted Screenplay (Nick Hornby, and a snappy job he did of it too). But I've heard good things about everything else. I'm sure they're all perfectly fine movies! Everybody gets a trophy!

3 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Groundhog Day! I had a vague feeling this morning that February 2nd is somehow important, or at least asks to be observed. I conscious had thoughts along the lines of "I don't think February 2nd is any kind of personal milestone for me" and "I wonder why I'm seeing headlines related to Punxsutawney Phil", and my brain apparently left it at that.

Groundhog Day is a much better movie than my February so far is a month, mostly because I've been questionable with flu-like symptoms for the past two days. I remain hopeful for the next twenty-six, though, maybe because the sun was actually out in force in Portland today...

2/02/2010 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Dad said...

The window view from Jan 08, 7:30 am, looks surprisingly similar to Bill Murray's view from his room in the B&B.

2/02/2010 9:21 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

And that was about the same window view I had this morning, too. Good thing my same exact day isn't repeating over and over again, though! Ha ha. Well, off to work.

2/03/2010 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home