Monday, January 11, 2010

It's Still Cold / Third Wheel Legend

I've consulted with several other folks from the Northeast about this. It is worse for people from cold places in Miami when it gets cold here (well, not entirely true... it's the worst for, like, the crops and the old people (not sure how the vultures are faring)), because we expect it to be warm, whereas the local-types are aware that every few years it gets stupid cold down here.

Also, I've been reluctant to flip my indoor-weather-control-box to "heat" mode, since I've never used it, and, as per uzh, can only imagine the worst case scenarios where I die in an apartment fire in my sleep, instead of the more probably scenario where my apartment is comfortably warmer than its current 58 degrees or so.

I went to a movie last night, third-wheeling with a friend of mine and his girlfriend whose visiting from out of town, to that Up in the Air movie starring George Clooney. Not very good. Not bad. But not good either. I realized part way through that I once read the first few pages of the book it's based on, which totally blew. Except for a cameo by Sam Elliot (in the movie, not the book), for which I laughed through everything he said, missing his actual dialogue under my constant whispering of Big Lebowski quotes to my friend's girlfriend (which, of course, makes me an awesome third wheel).

But I also got to test my new formulation (which is cobbled together from a couple different conversations I had over Winter Break) about George Clooney (which I will probably go explore further over at Culturology (well, not that much farther; I've been slacking pretty extensively recently on the other blog)):

George Clooney will always be disappointing to me because I perceive him as wanting to be Jimmy Stewart when he's really James Cagney.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good post! LAME topics!

1/14/2010 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wait a damn minute... this is just your post from Culturology!!! almost exactly! and you posted this first! even LAMER!

1/14/2010 12:27 PM  
Blogger neal said...

sounds about right for pete. (i.e. LAME)

1/21/2010 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home