Saturday, May 20, 2006

Super Unsolicited Book Advice Bros.

I just finished reading John Hodgman's book, The Areas of My Expertise, which reads quickly because it's mostly structured as a jumbled parody almanac of "complete world knowledge" that is almost entirely made up. Hodgman, as has been pointed out, has been a commentator on the Daily Show lately, but the book's more like the couple of his This American Life segments that I've heard, ranging from obscure daffiness to a kind of muted melancholy. A lot of it is hit-or-miss -- I found the repeated mentions of hoboes and mermen tiresome (this does not include the almost sublimely odd list of 700 hobo names) and he tends to drift into slightly too clever, Dave Eggers-y territory (for instance, most of the "Jokes That Have Never Produced Laughter") -- but the best of it is just hilariously weird. The high point for me is an only somewhat falsified synopsis of The Muppet Movie that nonetheless warps it into a horrifying postmodern exercise ("Then the roof of the soundstage smashes in and a powerful rainbow shines down and obliterates everything, including a plywood imitation of the fake rainbow that had appeared in the first scene. The frog and bear and pig simulations panic as the fake/real and real/fake worlds nearly destroy each other") in which Hodgman makes a cameo appearance. I'm also fond of his short list of "failed palindromes", which capture the forced, cryptic style of real palindromes but don't manage to spell the same thing out backwards as forwards (i.e., "Slow speed: deep owls"). Anyway, I recommend it, if only for the bizarre sensation, after reading a lot of it in one sitting, of not being able to tell whether a stated point of fact is just one of Hodgman's quieter, less egregious falsehoods, or is actually true...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Sounds like we've got a "lender." Bring it next time we see each other?

I'll trade you for "Collapse," which I've almost finished. I'll write a bit about it when I do. It's somewhat less funny.

5/23/2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Wait, so you're listening to this book while I'm reading it at the same time? We didn't coordinate this, did we?

I think they should dress up the audio version with commentary from supposed Greenland Norse.

"Yah, so for the first while we had farms and sheep, and soil, yah? And then we cut down the trees and the soil eroded away, doncha know. Oh, bad kinda scene. It was like some kinda Collapse, yaknow?"

5/24/2006 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home