Sunday, December 07, 2008

Elusive Item of Regional Bowling-Related Interest!

As you may know, one of the reasons I don't consider Connecticut to be "real" New England (but rather a kind of bargain-rack Massachusetts) is the general unavailability of candlepin bowling, at least as far as I've been able to determine. So imagine my glee in learning that there is another odd branch of the bowling family tree, duckpin bowling, very close to where I am. I still haven't gone, and in fact I have never been duckpin bowling, which adds to my vague sense of cheerful anticipation about the activity. I bounced the idea off of some work friends but it seems I might need a better angle than "It's like regular bowling but weird and way harder."

I share this mostly so I can share the website of the Woodlawn Duckpin Bowling Center of West Haven, CT, which has a surprisingly well-made mini-documentary about duckpin bowling and describes the sport in phrases along the lines of "redolence of intrigue and mystery." And a logo of a cartoon duck wearing a bowling shirt. If this does not fill you with an urgent desire to go duckpin bowling, then you, sir or madam, are a soulless automaton of the sort hypothesized by certain philosophers of mind.

The only remaining question is whether their snack bar serves beer, but I can't determine the answer from the website.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

In their party ad video, some old men appear to be drinking cans of Bud Light - maybe its BYOB?

12/08/2008 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home