Monday, August 16, 2010

Aber die Wildcat Band ist besser

Okay.

So, I'm not sure if I blogged about this back in the day or not. But most of you should at least be at least mildly aware that there exists in the world a textbook for teaching German to American students, which dates from, say, the mid-90s. (I've actually got a copy of said book that survived the book-purge of pre-Berlin and is safely stacked in a storage locker with the rest of my remaining shit in North Miami.)

In this book, there are some young characters. They hang out and make small talk. Sometimes they go to ice cream parlors and order sundaes. Hawaiian sundays. Hawaiibechers.

My first trip to Berlin, in '07, I sought out the Hawaiibecher, but did not find it offered anywhere.

In '08, I came a bit closer when my language class teacher had heard of such a thing, and could even describe it exactly. Apparently Hawaiibechers really were all the rage back in the early 90s.

So here we are in 2010. And I wasn't really even thinking about Hawaiibechers anymore; hadn't bothered to check any of the ice cream shops I passed for it (am probably too busy trying to find, like, myself, or something). But then today, I was out looking for olives, and I passed an ice cream shop. And it had these old sun-faded posters of their various offerings. And I couldn't help myself--I'd already been to several grocers and had found olives (or, like, myself) yet, so was a bit downtrodden--I had to stop and look.

And, of course, the hawaiibecher wasn't on any of the old faded posters. But then, I turned the corner, and on a shiny new poster, on the left-hand side, three rows down, there it was: a Hawaiibecher. Holy shit! They do exist!

But they cost nearly 4 euros! Fuck that! Who wants to pay that much for an ice cream sundae? Not me, not me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Aw, no fair, ich möchte ein Hawaiibecher!

8/16/2010 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home